Our introduction to online conveyancing
It’s not hard to see why some people might be put off by online conveyancing. There is a distance to people you deal with by email that means it’s easy to foresee a depersonalised, laborious process.
But the truth is that there are some great online options out there and some absolute duds, just like there are with traditional firms.
There are some undoubted positives with taking the online conveyancing route. While not universally offered, you should expect your online conveyance to offer you:
- Instant quotes
- Online case tracking and management
- No-move-no-fee offers
- More flexible working hours
- Cost savings
Beyond that, there are three types of online conveyance, and it is important to know what type you are dealing with.
Online Conveyancing Factories
They offer the positives above, but unless you have had one recommended one to you, we would advise that you steer clear. The negatives pile up:
- They operate from call centres, often overseas
- As a result, you can expect erratic service levels as you deal with a number of different people during the process
- There is a risk your case will be handled by data processors rather than actual conveyancers
- As well as a risk of complex cases being passed around and not dealt with as easier cases are focussed on, keeping case completion above a certain rate.
If you decide to go with one of these firms, prepare to be the one driving your case forward, and expect to spend plenty of time on the phone (and on hold).
Specialist Online Conveyancers
In addition to the plusses listed above, thes
e types of firm can offer:
- Expertise, the most important feature of a good conveyancer
- Dedicated case handlers
- Direct contact details
- BUT On the negative side, they won’t be as cheap as other options.
Because these firms tend to be pricier, they might be tempted to suppress their quote by hiding items in the disbursements and small print so beware. That said, if you are happy with the quote and they come recommended by someone you trust or independent sites online, then there is plenty to appeal.
Online Conveyancing Marketing Companies
Really more of a hub than a conveyancer. These companies maintain a list of conveyancers that they deal with. Additional to the standard benefits, many constantly review the people they deal with, meaning a standard of service should be kept high. They can also:
- Provide direct contact with your conveyance
- Offer services based on your preferences, for instance cost
- Provide additional support and guidance
- Provide discounted fees, perhaps up to 50%, compared to direct instructions through dealing with conveyancers in bulk and entering into agreements
- Provide you with customer reviews and ratings of conveyancers they deal with
An online conveyancing marketing company will only be as good as the conveyancers it deals with, but the best ones can be an excellent option. As always, examine their quote thoroughly, but if you are confident the conveyancers will do a good job, the savings an online conveyancing marketing company can offer often makes them the best choice.